Over the years La Amistad has been an industry leader in treating psychiatric needs and chemical dependency needs (co-occurring) with a comprehensive approach. La Amistad combines elements of traditional treatment modalities such as individual psychotherapy, family therapy, medication management, process groups, education groups, peer-led groups, 24-hour nursing, use of outside self-help meetings (including NA & AA), full-time Certified Addiction Professionals, with use of CBT/ DBT inclusive of mindfulness and relaxation. The subtance abuse program incorporates focus on health, lifestyle, nutrition, recreation therapy, equine therapy and experiential therapies. The result is a unique empowering program that has created the opportunity for change for individuals who have become powerless to overcome addiction.
We are committed to individualized treatment through an integrated model of traditional 12-Step techniques along with cutting edge therapy tools to create a unique environment of change that focuses on: family, wellness, self- responsibility and abstinence.
La Amistad subscribes to the American Society of Addiction Medicine’s definition of addiction, a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory, and related neurological pathways.
We are dedicated and passionate staff members who strive to create change in the individuals we serve. Our staff consist of full-time licensed psychiatrists, licensed therapists, certified addiction professionals, registered psychiatric nurses (24 hrs / 7 days), certified recreation therapists and psychiatric assistants. We utilize the services of nutritionists, licensed psychologists, equine therapists, music therapists, Yoga Instructor, and additional adjunct professionals.
La Amistad is located in beautiful Winter Park, Florida, just a few miles from Orlando. We are an open, resort-like campus that strives to create a peaceful atmosphere in which individuals feel comfortable. We have many amenities on-site for the use of our residents, including a pool, wellness center, computer lab, dining room with on-site chef, and walking/jogging trail. A Partial Hospital Program (PHP) is located on the same campus to provide an alternate level of care. It also serves as a transition program for our residents to allow for continuity of care.
La Amistad’s addiction treatment consists of an assessment phase and a rehabilitation phase. In order to accommodate the varied needs of our residents, we employ the use of multiple treatment methods to not only gain an understanding of unhealthy patterns, but to begin positive momentum toward understanding the emotional/cognitive patterns that drive the addiction.
Phases of Treatment
Assessment Phase – The Assessment phase is usually a five-day period which includes:
- Psychiatric Evaluation with full development of Axis V Diagnosis and Initial Treatment Plan completed at time of admission
- Psychosocial Evaluation
- Chemical Recovery Assessment
- Introduction to 12 step Model (Including workbooks)
- Nutritional Evaluation
- Recreational/Leisure Skills Evaluation
- History and Physical
- Individual Therapy with primary therapist
- Family Contact- Assess family role in treatment. Contact by therapist with family to set up family therapy
- Family Support Educational Group (Every Saturday)
- Integration /Orientation into the behavioral program and structure to enhance Recovery
- Morning Exercise and Meditation Group: Daily Group
- Goals Group: Daily
- Nursing Group- Three days a week -Review of health issues and role of medications in treatment
- Nutrition Group- Mindfulness/Relaxation Group- Using mindfulness techniques and relaxation including Yoga- 5 times per week
- Chemical Recovery Group: Monday – Friday Group Therapy. Initiation of a four-week program focused on recovery
- AA/NA 12 Step Meetings/Step Study Groups seven days a week. Patients attend both in house and community meetings
- Psychotherapy Group- CBT GROUP– Review Concepts of Core Beliefs/Self Talk/Acceptance/ DBT Techniques /Wise Mind Theory
- Recreational Therapy – Daily with focus on experiential activities/Team Building/Problem Solving/Conflict
- Resolution, and Assertiveness. Identifying and implementing leisure skills. RT groups are led by a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS)
- LIFE SKILLS GROUPS-Daily Psycho-Educational Groups on various topics pertinent to mental health
- Expressive Therapy- Using art to enhance expression
- After-Care Group- To assist with development of after- care plan
Note: No residents are allowed off campus for the first week of treatment. This includes structured outings and AA/NA Meetings.
At La Amistad, we believe that a foundation of knowledge will best assist patients to confront their substance abuse/addiction issues. A strong psycho-educational approach better prepares our patients to encounter the post-discharge challenges for maintaining a healthier lifestyle.
Emphasizing the “Bio-Psycho-Social” model, we utilize a four-week plan focusing on the following topics:
Week 1: Learning Factors of Substance Abuse/Addiction
The essential elements of Classical and Operant Conditioning, Cognitive Dissonance, Post-Decision Dissonance, and Behavioral Extinction will be explained relative to substance abuse/addiction.
Week 2: Psychological Factors of Substance Abuse/Addiction
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) will be explained and discussed with a focus on cognitive distortions associated with substance abuse/addiction issues, corrective techniques, and relapse risk issues.
Week 3: Neuro-biochemical Factors Of Substance Abuse/Addiction
Pioneering and current evidence-based studies will be presented which serve to validate key elements of the disease model of abuse/addiction..
Week 4: Relapse Issues
This weekly term will focus on relapse issues relative to various components of the Bio-Psycho-Social model. Self-responsibility for high relapse risk situations and decision-making will be addressed.
While this four-week plan represents the core of our substance abuse tract, we programmatically integrate the 12-Step models and utilize such activities on a daily basis.