Wellness is a way of life. It’s feeling good to be alive and feeling good about one’s self. Wellness is being as healthy as possible. It represents a way of life achieved through an increased awareness of physical and psychological conditions and a willingness to take on responsibility for one’s own well-being. La Amistad Behavioral Health Services’ Wellness Center balances the mental, physical and spiritual aspects of life to accomplish these traits.
The “Wellness Program” includes five major components:
- SELF-RESPONSIBILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY – Being aware of your body’s signals and taking control.
- NUTRITIONAL AWARENESS – Maintaining your ideal weight and eating a healthy, balanced diet.
- STRESS MANAGEMENT – Recognizing life’s stresses and using that energy for positive tasks.
- MINDFULNESS/MEDITATION – Therapeutic approaches (ie Yoga) are used with residents/patients to help navigate stress and increase emotional resilience.
- ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS – Understanding the negative impact on the body by using cigarettes, alcohol and other addictive substances.
Message from the Wellness Director
The Wellness Program at La Amistad has been designed to provide information, skills, and motivation to help assist residents on their road to recovery. Balancing the mental, physical, and spiritual aspects of life is necessary in order to achieve health and well-being.
Benefits of regular exercise include weight loss, a healthier heart, improved muscle tone, increased daily energy levels, reduced stress, increased resistance against anxiety and depression, and improved self-image.
Upon admission, each patient will receive a wellness assessment. Each day, residents are encouraged to practice meditation, mindfulness, gratitude, healthy eating, yoga, and physical exercise in order to enhance their coping skills and manifest change. Our clinical program integrates exercise, nutrition, and overall wellness into the therapeutic process.
The goal is to empower our residents and encourage positive attitudes and behaviors that will enhance their lives through a continued commitment to wellness and recovery.