Bullying. Social media. School violence. It’s hard to be a kid these days — and to be their parent. If your child is dealing with depression or a behavioral disorder, know that you’re not alone.
La Amistad is here to help you and your child take the next step. We offer voluntary outpatient and residential treatment for adolescents and teens from ages 11 (6th grade) to 17. Our clinical and academic therapies give your child the tools to successfully transition back into their home, school and community.
Adolescent Treatment Program in Florida: Why Choose Us?
Our mental health treatment center for teens and children helps families from all over the country. People choose La Amistad because we offer:
- Flexible lengths of stay: The idea of long-term residential treatment can be scary for you and your child. That’s why we offer different levels of care tailored to your comfort level and situation. We provide in-person residential programs, partial hospitalization programs and virtual intensive outpatient treatment.
- Academic curriculum: Your child won’t fall behind in school during treatment. The Learning Academy is our on-site, fully accredited academic program. The Academy is staffed by a principal and teachers with Orange County Public School certification. We provide behavioral and mental health support as your child keeps up with grade-appropriate curriculum and learns socialization skills.
- Family-focused approach: We encourage strong family involvement. La Amistad hosts family workshops and monthly family weekends and facilitates weekly family therapy sessions (in-person or virtual) with your child. We also provide day or overnight passes before discharge, so you and your child can practice skills learned during treatment.
- Specialized care for military families: Children of military families have many unique challenges. They may face frequent relocations, prolonged separation from a parent or anxiety about their parent’s safety. We offer specialized services for military families and proudly accept TRICARE®.
Behavioral Health Conditions We Treat
At our mental health facility for troubled youth, we care for teens and adolescents with a wide range of behavioral health challenges, including:
- Trauma, such as physical or sexual abuse
- School issues
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar disorder
- Other mood or personality disorders
Our Approach to Care
We draw on many evidence-based treatments to help your child overcome mental health challenges and build a stronger family relationship. Our approach to care emphasizes trauma-focused recovery. By exploring the root cause of behavioral issues, we can help your child develop healthier coping and communication skills.
Your child participates in individual and group counseling and a range of clinical therapies that may include:
- Sand tray therapy: Children use miniature toys and sand to reconstruct a traumatic memory or event. It allows them to express emotion or address conflicts in a nurturing environment. Trained therapists offer this form of expressive arts therapy in our dedicated sand tray therapy room.
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT): DBT helps children dealing with intensive emotions, such as those with mood or personality disorders. We teach them strategies for regulating their emotions and behaviors in less harmful and aggressive ways.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT teaches adolescents to identify negative thoughts or beliefs that drive unhealthy behaviors and replace them with positive thoughts and beliefs. CBT promotes improved self-confidence and personal growth.
- Prolonged exposure therapy: Severe trauma, such as physical or sexual abuse, can be deeply damaging. Over multiple sessions, we gradually help your child identify and process traumatic memories or events with the guidance of a highly trained therapist.
We also offer many wellness therapies on and off our adolescent campus:
- Adventure and recreation therapy
- Art therapy
- Equine (horse) therapy
- Field trips
- Music therapy
- Play therapy