Your recovery from drug or alcohol addiction happens one step at a time. We help you start this journey with the support and guidance of a skilled staff.
At La Amistad, we understand that addiction is a complex condition. There is no one-size-fits-all treatment. Your recovery plan is highly personalized, emphasizing mental health and trauma-focused therapies. Our unique approach to care helps many adults 18 and up achieve long-term sobriety, even if they haven’t had success at previous treatment centers.
Drug and Alcohol Rehab in Florida: Why Choose Us?
At our addiction treatment center, you’ll find:
- Residential and outpatient programs: We offer several levels of care to meet you where you are in your recovery journey. We can coordinate a seamless transition from detox to our residential rehab program. Or we may recommend partial hospitalization or intensive outpatient treatment, depending on your needs.
- 24/7 medical support: Nurses, physicians and a board-certified addiction specialist are available around-the-clock to oversee your health. We provide monitoring, medication management and any other care you may need. The staff at La Amistad also helps with the effects of detox, such as withdrawal symptoms and cravings.
- Cognitive approach: We explore the underlying cause of your addiction. For many people, drug or alcohol abuse is rooted in trauma. Therapists use evidence-based treatments, such as trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy and exposure therapy, to help you identify and process past experiences that are barriers to recovery.
- JCAHO-accredited treatment center: La Amistad has the Gold Seal of Approval® from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. This accreditation means we meet rigorous guidelines for quality, safety and patient experience. We voluntarily seek this accreditation every three years because we believe in continually improving our standard of care.
Specialized Dual Diagnosis Care
For more than 40 years, La Amistad has provided care for co-occurring disorders. A dual diagnosis means you have a substance abuse disorder and a mental health disorder, such as depression or anxiety. We treat these disorders together because your psychological well-being profoundly impacts your ability to overcome addiction.
The providers at our addiction treatment center have extensive training in dual diagnoses. We work closely with the staff at our mental health program to give you seamlessly coordinated, whole-person care.
Psychiatric disorders we treat include:
- Anxiety disorders
- Bipolar disorder or other mood disorders
- Early psychosis
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Substance use disorders we treat include:
- Prescription drugs
- Other addictive substances
Our Addiction Treatments and Services
Recovery is about more than not using alcohol or drugs. It’s about exploring how emotional and psychological damage impacts addiction. During your time at La Amistad, we guide you through the in-depth work of trauma recovery and healing. Our experience has shown us that this approach improves outcomes and reduces the risk of relapse.
Sometimes addiction is a coping mechanism for past trauma. We use a variety of techniques to help you identify and process trauma, so that it no longer fuels your need for drugs or alcohol.
Our trauma-focused therapies include:
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT): DBT teaches strategies for calming intense or uncontrollable emotional reactions. We may recommend this type of psychotherapy if you have a substance use disorder and a mood disorder. Learning how to control your emotions can give you greater control over drug or alcohol use.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT helps you identify, process and change negative thoughts or emotions that may be preventing you from overcoming addiction. This type of psychotherapy teaches logic, reasoning and behavior change.
- Prolonged exposure therapy: We help you recreate a past traumatic event in a supportive, nonthreatening environment. This technique allows you to separate the event from your fear and anxiety surrounding it. By regaining control over your feelings, you can reduce your dependence on drugs or alcohol as a coping mechanism.
We offer many treatments in addition to individual and group therapy sessions. We encourage you to focus on your wellness as a tool for overcoming addiction.
Amenities and services on our adult campus include:
- Art, music and drama therapy
- Equine (horse) therapy (off-site)
- Fitness centers
- Horticulture (gardening) therapy
- Outdoor activities
- Pet therapy
- Swimming pool
- Volleyball courts